Wednesday 17 June 2009

Wednesday 17th June 2009

It was still bright and sunny but quite windy this morning. We were in a really nice setting and it was tempting to stay there another day, but the weather forecast wasn't that good so we decided to keep going while it was dry

Synchonised Locking?
We had a few things to do on the boat and finally left at 11oohrs. I decided to walk to the next lock for my daily exercise and met Ray and Saffy on Ivy Rose, just about to enter.

Little Saffy who kept us company
through six Locks

We waited for Tom to catch us up and then proceeded to share the next six locks. It helped both of us as he is on his own and some of the lock gates were so heavy I could hardly move them. I had to chuckle when I told him that I was trying to lose a bit of weight, he said "Well you'll never be a size zero, will you" I wonder why he is on his own?


There's no holding Christine back
now! What next, jumping from boat

to boat?

We passed through Watford and Rickmansworth and were surprised how little any craft seem to move on this stretch. The canal is very busy but mainly with boats that don't look as if they ever move.
We got to Batchworth at about 1500hrs and it was trying to rain, so we decided to call it a day.

A pretty picture postcard Lock Keepers
cottage
(wish the same could be said for the helmsman)

I had heard there was a Tesco nearby, so went to investigate while Tom found a few more odd jobs to do. There are all sorts of different craft moored up here, some don't even look like boats. I will take some pictures tomorrow.
Having stocked up on a few essentials, it was back to the boat to tuck in for the evening. It is raining quite heavily as I write this, so we won't be venturing out again tonight.

No comments: